Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Bachelorette Andi: Let's Ghent the Show on the Road

Well, folks, this might be my least productive season ever.  I’m like Andi’s hairdresser:  I show up unannounced every other week and I do a terrible job when I arrive.  I’d apologize, but who’d listen?  I appreciate the empathetic messages I get intermittently from fellow trial attorneys coming up for air and I’m also grateful for the sympathetic messages from the non-attorneys out there with busy lives of their own.  Again, if this gig put water in the pool and beer in the ‘fridge, I’d be here every day.  If and until then, we’ll all have to settle. 

Andi, Andi, Andi.  Let’s talk about Andi. 

With the exception of one reader (Mr. Ishrar) it seems that my assessment of Andi as a marginally attractive, insecure ball buster is universally shared by my audience.  Birds of a feather, I suppose.  Well, either that or she actually IS a marginally attractive, insecure ball buster.  As we say down here in Texas, that distinction is six in one, a half dozen in the other.  Put another way, a rose by any other name is still a marginally attractive, insecure, ball busting rose.  Shakespeare wrote that (sort of) so it must be true.



In light of my lack of time, this post will mirror my last Bachelorette post in that it will be more of a mish mash of my thoughts rather than a point-by-point breakdown of the episode.  

This is the part where I’m supposed to tell you that I have tons of thoughts on the last two shows, but that would be a big fat lie.  The truth is, Andi bores me to the point of catatonia and it’s like everything I can like do to like watch her like try to like fall in love or whatever.  Add the fact that the remaining dudes are more depressing than a Flemish painting, and you see my dilemma.  Still, I’m going to make fondue from this bunch of cheese balls.

I LOVE THEE, ANDI.  BUT I LOVE THEE TOO, ANDI.

Let’s go guy by guy, shall we?

Cody.  Look, I know half of you are trying to remember who Cody is while the other half of you would have forgotten him but for the big announcement that he plans to join the other “stars” on the Bachelor in Paradise.  

If you recall, an especially heartless Andi let this Neanderthal ramble on for what seemed like hours about his feelings before eventually breaking down into tears and kicking him to the curb—at dinner no less.  Cody and his deep v-neck and magical electric sport coat were relegated to a hungry, heartbroken walk of shame amongst the gorgeous Italian backdrop.  Sigh. . . .  I’ll give the guy credit for trying the hard close, but she just wasn’t ready to be convinced.    


Granted, I know she was probably goaded into silence by whatever producer stood hawkishly off camera while that blood bath was materializing, but geez.  We all know that every Bachelorette has the ability to stray from “the rules” and make an executive decision every now and then.  

Sparing a guy who—in her own words—always made her smile the abject humiliation of getting castrated in front of millions of people was probably a good reason to use her Bachelorette Rule Breaker Trump Card.  Cody was a lot of things; one of which was a nice guy.  Sure, he over tanned, frosted his thinning hair, and looked like Macklemore, but he certainly didn’t deserve the slow death she gave him.  The bad news is that he never made it to Belgium.  The even worse news is that his 15 minutes isn’t over yet. 

Nick.  I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I actually like Nick.  Sure, he’s overly talkative, annoyingly analytical, and hyper competitive.  However, in and of themselves, the aforementioned characteristics aren’t necessarily bad qualities to have.  The problem for Nick is that he’s stuck in the middle of a 10 week sword fight with a bunch of intellectually inferior alpha males, all of whom are rightfully threatened by his presence. 

Can anyone point to anything this guy has done “wrong” this season?  From where I’m sitting I see a self-assured guy doing everything he can to win the affections of a girl he appears to like.  Now, whether he likes her because she’s currently verboten or because he’s into sloppily maintained former prosecutors remains to be seen, but he’s out playing the rest of the field and they all know it.  Between Farmer Chris’ incessant whining and Basketball Brian’s nonsensical accusations of gamesmanship, I had no time to write jokes about Nick’s scarf. 

Clearly, Andi is interested.  He earned the group date rose in Babe Ruth-esque fashion by calling his home run shot very early in the date.  I will admit that he gives off a creepy Buffalo Bill Gumb vibe, but I’ll chalk that up to a sense of urgency rather than any diagnosable psychological disorder.  

RIGHT INTO THE FANTASY SUITE

However, if we find out from his Milwaukee hometown that he’s basically a loner with maternal abandonment issues, an abusive father, and had a tendency to torture the family dog, I’ll change my mind.  Andi puts the lotion in the basket or she gets the hose again. 




Farmer Chris.  I like this guy less and less each week.  My guess is that Andi feels the same way.  The best exchange in next week’s hometowns based on the previews occurs when Andi knowingly asks Chris while sitting in an Iowa cornfield, “what would I do for work out here?”  His response—a classic, by the way—“there’s an opportunity to be a homemaker.”  Translation:  I’m not moving from Atlanta to Iowa.  Nice chatting with you. 

Incidentally, I think we’d all agree that there’s nothing wrong with being a homemaker in Iowa—or anywhere else for that matter—provided both parties are on board.  Andi is just not on board.  Frankly, I think if given the choice she’d rather take her chances at being fattened up and having her flesh turned into a swatch by serial killer Nick than land squarely on her feet in the middle of Iowa.  Say what you will about sociopaths but they’re never boring to be around.  Farmers from Iowa on the other hand . . . .

Basketball Brian.  Is there any doubt that he was kept around by Andi because he’s a nice guy?  Is there any doubt that he was eliminated for the same reason?  He made a good showing despite engaging in some unnecessary whining with Dylan about Nick’s “strategy.”  He was likely over Andi by the time Belgian Air flight 353 touched down in Allentown, Pennsylvania. He’ll be married to the Home Ec teacher inside of a year. 

Dylan.  To say he’s had a rough couple of years in his life would be an understatement.  In light of that, I’ll forgive his haircut and wish him well.  It’s regretful that that the only real burst of personality we saw out of him all season occurred in the final segment of the show while he chased Basketball Brian around with a pickle.  As weird as that was, perhaps if he had shown Andi his pickle he’d still be around. 


Josh M.  He’s literally the only dude who refused to fawn over Andi like a fat kid over one of those oversized, circular, rainbow colored lollipops you win at the carnival.  It’s abundantly clear that she buys his low-key former jock act on every level.  The previews seem to foretell some tension between Andi and the Fam Damily next week.  If any of you think that will make a damn bit of difference, you’re delusional.  He’s going to the Fantasy Suite where he’ll hit the biggest home run of his former baseball career. 



Marcus.  Be honest, ladies.  Does Marcus’ incessant, insecure, unapologetic, and unrelenting fawning really make him attractive?  “Grow a pair, dude,” was all I could think as he was talking to—no, begging—Andi to choose him.  If desperation was Rogaine the guy would have a full head of hair in no time.  Andi seemed to eat it up, however.  Whatever gets you the next level, I guess. 

Let me clarify for the sake of my own edification.  I’m not suggesting that a “real man” has to keep his feelings close to his scarf and v-neck.  Indeed, real men don’t wear v-necks and scarves.  However, I think women appreciate confidence.  Nick’s “I can feel that you have feelings for me” speech last night was an example.  Granted, it was manipulative and presumptuous, but it told Andi that he’s there to close the deal.  Marcus seemed to flounder around his playpen in a soggy diaper tripping over his stuffed animals.


So where do we go from here? 

I’d be willing to bet that Nick and Josh are the final two.  The hometown will spell Chris’ demise and Marcus won’t out macho Nick or Josh in the final three.  Who wins?  Josh.  Hands down. 

Well, there it is.   As we head in to hometowns next week we’ve got the big Fourth of July holiday weekend ahead of us.  I, for one, will be relaxing by the pool with a cold Lone Star in hand before enjoying the fireworks.  All a person has to do these days is turn on the news to see that the fact that we have the choice to voluntarily subject ourselves to the televised tail hunt known as The Bachelorette rather than running away from bombs and machetes makes us incredibly lucky.  

Take a moment to realize that this weekend.  Enjoy yourselves, travel safely, and I’ll see you back here next week.  In the meantime, if you need me, I’ll be chasing people around with my pickle.   DP
         








25 comments:

  1. "Women appreciate confidence..." Yes, yes they do! I hate whiney guys. Also guys who turn on the water works a little too frequently. (For the record I am not a fan of watering pot girls either). Nice recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. It's good to start off with validation. Thanks for continuing to read. DP

      Delete
  2. How sad is it that we can agree the most interesting part about last night's show was the outtakes of Dylan chasing Brian with the pickle?!?!?! This season needs to hurry up and end. Nick is a DB in my opinion and I agree that she's not even remotely interested in becoming a farmer's wife in the middle of nowhere. She's marginally attracted to Marcus' softer side but will end up with Josh for all of the obvious reasons. Too bad we have to suffer through a few more weeks to get to the predictable ending. UGH... Still love your recaps, though!!!

    Rose in OC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea, there hasn't been much cream rising to the top of the guy pile this season, has there? I don't sense an overwhelming chemistry between any of them. It seems like a competition for Nick and a desperate attempt at validation for Marcus. DP

      Delete
  3. Worst.season.yet. She bores me with her fake faces and over-reactions, and her outfits certainly do not help. She also is clearly after two men who are not interested in her (Josh and Nick), which means that she is clearly not ready for a relationship. It's not that I think this show is really set up to lead to a fabulous ever after but the fact that she is too immature to even try to look for the real thing is annoying. (Though I don't blame her on giving up the Iowa housewife bit - that is for a very particular type.) Anyways - thanks for making it interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points, Anon. I agree. Although there are some days when even I find the prospect of being an Iowa housewife appealing. DP

      Delete
  4. This has to be one of the worst, and boring, seasons I can recall. Haven't watched last night's show even though it's recorded. May watch later but really there is no reason when you and Lincee provide such funny, witty, and insightful recaps. So much better than the show!

    I agree with you that Nick and Josh will be the final two picks. They are the ones she appears most attracted to.

    Have a happy 4th of July. ������������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Fourth to you as well, Liana. As always, thanks for chiming in. DP

      Delete
  5. Andi appreciates a real "mayyyn" and that's what she'll get with her scarf-wearing, wide-legged standing, teeth-whitening former jock. Ah love...
    The way you mentioned the pickle outtake made me burst out laughing- thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for raising the entertainment level this season. It's been tough to watch, first time I haven't bothered to go back and check the DVR for parts I've missed.

    Ann in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't bother. There's no need to bore yourself twice.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great recap.
    I kind of do like Marcus, but I can tell she's more into the other two. Nick is annoying me tho, and even tho as you say he's not doing anything wrong, his attitude makes me want to punch him in the face, or kick him in the NICKS - NICK+NUTS.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcus seems nice enough, albeit emotionally damaged from his childhood. He's harmless enough. I agree about Nick. He's rubbing everyone the wrong way...well, except Andi. As I said, I attribute that to proximity to the other dudes and just being fed up with the show. DP

      Delete
  9. So I'm from Milwaukee and someone I know went to high school with Nick. She said he was a very popular jock. I just can't picture it for the life of me. While I don't by any means think he is awesome, I think they are just giving him the villain edit. Although that guy throws off sinister looks all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew? More evidence he's just annoyed with the situation and that's what we're seeing. I agree with the edit, although, he hasn't taken the bait on any of the inane accusations so it's not really working that well. DP

      Delete
  10. This show has a way of bringing out the worst in people..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't watched yet due to a family situation but from reading you and Lincee, don't think I will waste my time. Last week I found it like too hard to like listen to Andi for very long. How can she like talk like that and be an effective lawyer? Surely she doesn't throw in all the likes while presenting evidence on a case. Still don't know what it is about Nick that I don't care for but I think Josh is more the type Andi goes for with her references to that when she like talks to him. Time for this season to be over!
    Sal in Utah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Former Lawyer, Sal. And yes, she'll pick Josh. I'm sure of it. DP

      Delete
  12. I love your blog. This is a cool site and I wanted to post a little note to tell you, good job! Best wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. MY NAME GOT MENTIONED IN A SOME GUY BLOGPOST YESSS I'M FAMOUS.

    But with the exception of Andi, I agree with your analysis of every guy. Great job. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know Andi's "career" claims drive you nuts so please check out the article (google Bachelorette) about Andi giving up her stellar career as assistant prosecutor --

    The best part was the claim that she got a conviction for a murder trial in "8 minutes" because she was so persuasive - WTF did she have a stopwatch with her?? Staaaahhhhpppp Andi.

    - thanks for the entertainment! The blogs are better than the show
    emm

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm super happy for you getting all these billable hours, but can we please just have one? I miss your posts! :(

    ReplyDelete